Upgrade installed software using Packages
- ports-mgmt/portmaster: has no dependency but needs an up-to-date ports tree
- portmaster -P: use packages, but build port if not available;
- portmaster -PP: fail if no package is available;
- portmaster -r: build the specified port and all ports that depend on it;
- portmaster —clean-distfiles: delete out-dated distfiles not referenced by any installed port.
- ports-mgmt/portupgrade: needs the ports tree
- portupgrade -aP: will upgrade all your packages and build those missing in the latest version from the ports tree;
- portupgrade -aPP: will upgrade only when packages are available;
- portmaster -r: act on all those packages depending on the given packages as well;
- portmaster -R: act on all those packages required by the given packages as well;
- portupgrade -aD: delete failed distfiles for all packages.
- pkg_upgrade in sysutils/bsdadminscripts: does not need the ports tree
- Sample workflow:
- Security patches:
freebsd-update fetch freebsd-update install
freebsd-update does not change the patch level shown by “uname -a” (such as from 9.0-RELEASE-p3 to 9.0-RELEASE-p5), unless the kernel is also updated. The file “/var/db/freebsd-update/tag” will always contain the actual patch level information.
- Major and minor version update:
freebsd-update -r 8.2-RELEASE-p9 upgrade portmaster -f #all third party software needs to be rebuilt and re-installed, as they may depend on libraries which have been removed during the upgrade process freebsd-update install #tie up all the loose ends in the upgrade process
- Update Ports Collection:
portsnap fetch update
- Upgrade Ports:
First read /usr/ports/UPDATING for additional steps users may need to perform when updating a port. Then use either portmaster or portupgrade to perform the actual upgrade.
portupgrade -PrR [package_name]
Disabling the hardware bell/beep
Type the following command to disable for current session:
Make sure settings remains same after you reboot the laptop, enter:
echo "hw.syscons.bell=0" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
defaultrouter="126.96.36.199" hostname="server.dept.univ.edu" ifconfig_bge0="inet 188.8.131.52 netmask 255.255.255.0" ifconfig_xl0="inet 10.1.255.127 netmask 255.255.0.0" nfs_client_enable="YES" nfs_server_enable="YES" rpcbind_enable="YES" sshd_enable="YES" apache22_enable="YES" mysql_enable="YES" fusefs_enable="YES" zfs_enable="YES" ipfilter_enable="YES" ipfilter_rules="/home/admin/scripts/FreeBSD/ipf.rules" ipmon_enable="YES" ipmon_flags="-Ds" #inetd_enable="YES" #ntpd_enable="YES" #cvslockd_enable="YES" #ftpd_enable="YES"
restrict default ignore restrict 127.0.0.1 restrict -6 ::1 restrict 184.108.40.206 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap server 127.127.1.0 fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10